Monday, August 1, 2011

The Bookstore Chick

So my daughter picks up this woman for me at Barnes and Noble…

I think that its hilarious to listen to some single dads complain about their weekend with the kids. They get all dramatic about this and that and how they were so exhausted and couldn’t wait to get the kids back to their mother. It cracks me up. It really does.

In a way, I wish that I had their reality. I absolutely love my daughter and would not give up my full custody for anything, but truth be told, it would be nice to have the occasional weekend free from parental duties. I also love how these same dads try and push all the “parenting stuff” off on mom, while they do their best to be the fun parent. Deal with reality, losers. You knocked her up, so you can do some of the heavy lifting yourself. Life isn’t all about Chuck E. Cheese and ski trips!

So there I was, at home one night, a full-time single dad fixing dinner after returning home from my 9.5 hour workday when my darling 19-year-old announces that she needs to get a book at the bookstore for this project that she has due. “OK,” I tell her. “When is it due?” “Tomorrow,” she replies very matter of factly. As I start to lecture her about responsibility and all that stuff, she looks at me, rolls her eyes and says, “what’s your problem?”

What’s my problem? Right now I have a 5’6” brunette problem! I quickly finish dinner and we gobble it down and jump in the car to head to our local Barnes and Noble.

We arrived at the bookstore and I found myself perusing the wares on a table when this blond woman across the table from me makes a comment about how much some book costs. I look up and said something back (I have no idea what I said. It was that memorable) and we chatted for all of 10 seconds before she walked away with her daughter. I went and found my bundle of sunshine and we were in another aisle about 5 minutes later when she pointed out, “that lady you were talking to at the table just walked past us.” I looked up and said, “OK.” To which she replied that I should go over and talk to her. I glanced over at the lady and decided that she was kind of cute, but I figured that the odds of me picking up a woman at a bookstore at 7:45 PM on a Tuesday night were about as good as the chance my daughter was gonna get an “A” on this project. So, I simply said, “Whatever.”

The next thing I know my little matchmaker was out of the aisle and slowly working her way over to where the blond was and as soon as the woman picked up a copy of a Rachel Ray kids cookbook, my daughter says, (in a loud voice) “I have that same cookbook. Daddy, what recipe did we make from that cookbook?”

Oh no she didn’t! The fruit of my loins just picked up a woman for me at Barnes and Noble! I felt kind of pimped out. What I should have done was said, “I don’t know what recipe. We have to go do your project.” But I felt kind of obligated to talk with this woman for a few minutes.

As I chatted with The Bookstore Chick, her daughter and mine started striking up their own friendship. After a couple of moments, the Chick asked if I wanted to move over to the café and have some coffee. I said sure, and just like that, I was on a date with a blond at the bookstore.

We talked about this and that for the next half hour or so and I looked at my watch and announced that we simply had to get home so that we could get this project done, but would she like to go out over the weekend? She agreed and we traded numbers and e-mail addresses and went our separate ways. She sent me a text that night saying that she was looking forward to Saturday night and that she would talk with me tomorrow.

Long story short, we went out on Saturday night, but it was a very odd date. We met at a local pizza and wing joint, ordered a couple sodas, some pizza and a few wings and started talking. I began to ask her about her job and about her family and she said that this was all going too fast and that she couldn’t handle it. The next thing I knew, there was no next date and I never heard from back from her. Sigh. Oh well…..

No comments:

Post a Comment