Friday, September 17, 2010

Hey I'm Not That Old Yet!!!

OK, now I am ticked off. Today I received a solicitation in the mail to join AARP. Yes, that AARP! The American Association of Retired Persons. Sure, I have some gray hair, and my kid thinks I'm ancient, but believe me, the only way I’m going to enter their little club is kicking and screaming every step of the way.
But indignation did not stop me from perusing the AARP flier and checking out the benefits of being what I prefer to call “maturely young” (or, as my mom says: “an immature 46″). Actually, AARP membership is a pretty good deal, and that got me thinking about travel perks for seniors.  I’ve noticed that more and more suppliers are courting the senior market with everything from airline and hotel packages to discounts on rental cars and area attractions. And why not? Seniors are good guests. They have money, they behave well, and they will tell their friends when they have a good time. Which makes me wonder, then: Why would they want me? I rarely behave, never have any money, and tend to keep my mouth shut (I learned my lesson once).

No comments:

Post a Comment