Sunday, February 6, 2011

House Full of Teens and a Funny Joke

My daughter who is 18, and like any teenager she takes off for long stretches to hang out with her friends. For instance, the other day after school, she ran into some of her friends at Jamba Juice, and on the spur of the moment they all drove to the Apple store to buy an iPod cable. (Party on, Silicon Valley style! Haha)
I used to have to deal with missed curfews and late-night texts asking for the Dominos Pizza phone number, but these days those problems are gone.

My teen daughter and her friends are hanging out at my house.

They play epic games of Risk. They eat epic amounts of popcorn. (Healthy diet for a teen, include that food, right?) They watch an epic number of TV shows off their iPod on my TV. (That Apple cable rocks.) They stay up late watching House.

My house is suddenly the cool place to hang out. Who knows why? Of course, I’m doing nothing to blow it.

The other night I was making popcorn on the stove. I have one of those Whirly Crank Handle things. I swear, it’s better tasting (and healthier) than microwave.


Sometimes my stove doesn’t light, and so I used a match to get it going. I’m whirlying away when two of my daughter’s friends came in for drinks.

“Is something burning?” the teen boy asked.
“I’m making popcorn,” I said. “But it’s not burning.”
“No, something’s burning. I smell burnt sulfur.”

Remember the movie, About Schmidt? If so, you’ll recognize this.

“You mean, like someone lit a match?” I asked.
“Yeah, exactly!” he said.
“I just used the bathroom.”

Oops. Awkward moment. Their eyes went wide in shock, they couldn’t believe I’d actually said that. Here I was, an old man sharing too much info about my sphincter.

But then I let out a hearty laugh, and they realized I was joking them big time. They laughed with me, then made a bee-line back to the TV room.

Next time they come over I’ll find out if my cool parent points are still at epic enough levels for the kids to hang at Dad’s house.

No comments:

Post a Comment