Monday, May 2, 2011

Father Daughter Weekend Indoors

It was spring break for my daughter last week, this single dad and his daughter planned to spend a weekend outdoors, starting with a day of sailing the San Francisco bay.
Unfortunately, the universe had other plans. My daughter woke up in the middle of the night Friday night – sick. Fever, stuffy nose, coughing, puking her guts out. And so we spent a father daughter weekend indoors.
It turned out to be totally fun.
I took her to the doctor Saturday morning for meds, then we spent the day hanging out. I pampered her silly. Juice? I’ll get that. Popsicles? On demand. Time for medicine? I’ll measure your dose. Hot tea? Allow me. My daughter loved it.
Turns out there was a marathon on TV. No, not the running kind – we’re talking America’s Next Top Model (Obsessed!), hosted by super model Tyra Banks. A whole season, back to back, in one day. Like any good dad who is clueless to his teen daughter's world, I sat and watched episode after episode with her.
Me: “Jenna, the blonde, is really photogenic. She needs to stay.”
Tyra Banks: “Jenna the blonde has an attitude problem Time for her to GO HOME!”
Doh!
Me: “Saleisha looks scary in that photo.”
Tyra Banks: “Saleisha reminds me of me! She is HOT HOT HOT!”
Doh!
You get the picture. Every opinion the judges had was the opposite of mine. My daughter loved it. She didn’t take sides, she simply enjoyed seeing me have no clue about fashion and modeling. ( My daughter is not a princess – more like a tomboy – but for some reason she loves TV shows like this. Oh, and Grey's Anatomy.)

All in all, we had fun. And after that weekend, I think it’s my daughter’s turn to pamper her old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment