Friday, April 29, 2011

Prank Phone Call

My daughter, niece and I were sitting at the dinner table eating pizza after a night of bowling with friends when my daughter’s cell phone rang. She has one of those free ringtones that can’t be missed (go on, hit play. You know you want to hear it):

For the record, I have a no cell phones at the dinner table policy, just like her school has a no cell phones in the classroom policy. I asked her to silence the phone or remove it from the table.
“Don’t worry,” she said. “I was actually expecting that call. No one else will be calling.”
Hmmm. Not good enough for me. She relented and put the cell phone on the living room book case.
We weren’t one bite of pizza further into the meal when her cell phone ringtone starts blaring again.
“Dammit,” I said. “Turn your phone off.”
No sooner had I said that, the phone went silent.
My niece has an evil grin.
My daughter went over to her phone and picked it up. Just as she was about to silence it, the ringtone started up again (making me wonder whether free ringtones are really free – or are we paying for them in hidden ways, like dinner interruptus?)
She looked at caller ID, and called out her cousin’s name in annoyance.
My niece’s evil grin turned into a giggle.
Apparently, speed dialing a cell phone and playing one of its ringtones is the new way for Kayla to torment Breana.

No comments:

Post a Comment