Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chorizo con yummy stuff














As you can see I’m fluent in Spanglish, which is to say I’m not so fluent in Spanish.

My latest creation was also Tuesday morning’s breakfast. May I present my chicken chorizo omelette with homemade pico de gallo and homemade peach mango salsa. It tastes awesome and has less than 400 calories.

To me breakfast should be loaded with flavor. There’s nothing wrong with a muffin or oatmeal but I prefer something with a little kick. That’s probably why there’s almost always chicken chorizo in my fridge and fresh jalapenos on the counter.

I attended a couple barbecues over Memorial Day Weekend and brought homemade guacamole, pico de gallo and peach mango salsa to both. Tuesday morning I woke up and remembered that I had extra pico and salsa and decided to incorporate them into my breakfast.

I make the pico de gallo every couple of days because I use it to flavor a lot of things, like this omelette. When peaches, pineapple or mango are reasonably priced I tend to make salsa with that because it’s great flavor and still healthy.

Before we make the omelette, let’s assemble the pico do gallo and the salsa. You can make these right before you cook or you can make them and let them sit in the refrigerator for a while to let it marinate and get tastier.

When it comes to pico de gallo everyone likes it a little different so here’s what I suggest. Dice up as many tomatoes as you think you want and toss them into a bowl.

The other things I put in mine are diced jalapeno, garlic, red onion and either kosher salt or sea salt. If you like a lot of onion but no jalapeno, make it that way. The great thing about a dish like pico de gallo and salsa is that you can customize it however you want to.

I was supposed to make mango salsa this weekend but I couldn’t find enough mangos that were ripe when I needed them to be, so I “cut” it with yellow peaches I found on sale. Like the pico, dice as many peaches, mangos, pineapple or whatever fruit you want to use as a base and place in a bowl.

The other things I put in my mango peach salsa are cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice, kosher/sea salt and a touch of cayenne pepper. Add the ingredients as you see fit and when you get to the right combination, you’ll know it. When I make it I have probably 70% mango/fruit, 20% tomato and the remaining 10% is split between cilantro, onions and jalapeno.
Add a sprinkle or two of cayenne, a small amount of lime juice and stir. After that you sample small bites and have fun creating something that would make Guy Fieri say, “That’s totally money.”

Now that the salsa and pico are done, take some chicken chorizo and cook it in a pan or electric skillet. If I was being all fancy I would use a different pan to cook the eggs in so everything looked nice but I usually do it in one pan so there is one less thing to wash.

Chicken chorizo averages about thirty calories per ounce and I’m guessing my omelette had about three ounces or ninety calories. I also used three large eggs which average about seventy calories apiece or two hundred ten calories.

While the chorizo cooks dice up some red onion, jalapeno or whatever else you’d like in your omelette. I would typically put tomatoes in my omelette but since I had the pico made, I left them out.

Push the chorizo aside and let the veggies soak in the chorizo-y goodness that was left behind. Since this was chicken chorizo there won’t be much grease but whatever is left you can dispose of with a paper towel, turkey baster or however you get rid of things of this nature.

I grind some black pepper into the eggs, whip them with a fork and pour over the chorizo mixture. Once the eggs are cooked on the first side I flip them and get the plate ready. Like I said, it’s not the prettiest way to make breakfast but it’s pretty darn tasty.

After that I topped my creation with some pico de gallo (about twenty five calories for four ounces) and with my peach mango salsa (sixty calories per quarter cup).


Not a bad way to start your day, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment