Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Explicit Songiness

                                           
Just a quick question…why do main stream “pop” bands that cater to mainstream America feel the need to drop f-bombs, s-hits, etc. in their songs of late. One that really sticks out is the great Maroon 5′s Payphone (I’ve linked to the clean version without the rap). Why can’t this be the song?

This band is great. They come out with fun, catchy songs all the time. They are true pop icons in modern music. I don’t get the appeal of having all of the other garbage mixed in. And they aren’t the only ones either. Do they think they are cooler now? Do they think that they are rich and famous that it doesn’t matter? I mean, a song like this with a relatively hardcore rapper in it, dropping bombs left and right? Are you kidding me?

Granted, I am no longer cool. I’m a 48 year old conservative dad with a house in the burbs. Sure, I get that I’m not in the tween, teen, scheem kill zone for these people. But, do we have to lower our standards or create songs where more people seek out a diced up, stripped out version…to make it sound better? How is that a good thing.

And, by the way, what’s with Apple and their iTunes…the explicit rap laden version was listed in their top 10 songs, so when Carissa downloaded it, she was shocked. People don’t listen to this version…why is it top 10????

Am I being too much of a dud or a prude here? I just think that some things are best left unchanged, and not dragging our society and American culture even more in the toilet should be one of them.

I’m going to go change my Depends now…

No comments:

Post a Comment