Saturday, December 25, 2010

And To Every Teen Must Come An Accident


image1978691310.jpg My daughter has been driving for a while. She is a good driver–after all I taught him everything she knows. Yesterday, I sent her on some errands for me and on her way home the unthinkable happened. My daughter, the invincible one ran into the back of another car!
She called me in a panic saying that no one was hurt and pleading that the other guy did not have a turn signal. I was so proud of myself that I remained calm, cool and collected. After all, everyone was safe and no one was hurt–THAT is the critical part. She was driving my Expedition (not very environmentally friendly, but according to the salesman in an accident I automatically win by default) and apparently was unable to stop in time when the guy in front of her stopped suddenly to make a right turn. No damage to my car (guess the salesman was right) and a small dent in the tailgate of the other guys pick up truck.
I told her to exchange information and since both cars were drivable, just get the info and head on home. Apparently when she was doing that, a witness appeared and mentioned that the other driver (the one my daughter hit) was too busy talking on the phone and made the stop without warning. In California we just passed a law on October 1 requiring the use of a hands free device. At this point, the guy who was hit, decided that there was no need in exchanging any information and left.
When my daughter got home, she was still shaking and upset–probably more with worry about the consequences at home than the accident, but I explained that she was not at fault and could not stop the car–period. I told her to be more aware of it and to not let it bother her. They are called accidents for a reason and as long as no one was hurt–it was all good. I think Breana was shocked at my reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment