Monday, January 10, 2011

Struggle for the System

I want to be healthy. I want to live as long as I can. I want to be complication free. I want to not have diabetes.

3 of those 4 statements above I can actually do something about. I can watch what I eat, exercise, and check my blood sugar all the time. I cannot cure myself but if I can take care of the other three then I would be doing pretty good in my book.

Here is the problem. Checking my blood sugar 8-10 times a day only gives me snapshots of what my blood sugar is doing at the moment. If my blood sugar is 130 now, what is 80 an hour ago or 300? Having that kind of knowledge would eliminate many hypoglycemic episodes and hyper ones too.

We can all agree that keeping my BG in control is the best thing I can do for my d-life. The more in control I am, the better my chances to stay complication free. That should be the goal for all people with diabetes. My question is, what do our insurance companies think our goal should be? To not spend a lot of money? Should our goal be to lose our eyesight and let them replace our kidneys if need be?

Continuous Glucose monitoring systems are a reality now. Sure it is not entirely accurate but it does show trends and that information is something we have NEVER had. Knowing where I was and where I am going is important and allows me to be proactive and not reactive.

But that makes me wonder what insurance companies expect from us. Would they rather react when we have a major complication or be proactive in doing all they can to avoid it?

I, along with many others, have been denied by insurance to cover CGMS(Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems). I will continue to fight for my right to know what is going on in my body. Hopefully if all of our voices are heard we can get the insurance companies to understand and to cover it for us.

Have you tried to get CGMS covered by your insurance? Did it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment