Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Wasn’t the Best Father to Her When She Was Younger



I was immature and wasn’t ready for the responsibility…which isn’t an excuse, it just is what it is. I can admit to that now.
It’s been a long path from my immature 20′s to my slightly dorky late 30′s. I think that’s one thing I can attribute to my ex-girlfriend…and that’s smartening me up when it came to how I was as a father.

Brief history lesson…
I split with her mom when she was 5 years old. Totally missing out on sooo much of her early development. It’s a shame, too…because she was a gorgeous girl.

Once I came back I really tried to reconnect with Breana, but it was a very long road. She hated spending time with me (although she was so young, it was really hard to know for sure)…and I just never felt a closeness with her. At all.
Like I said, I missed out on much of her early development…too much. Even when she got a bit older, when she stayed overnight, she cried for her mom. When she got sick, I didn’t know how to react or what to do…so I called her mom and took her home.
I was a bad father. At least that’s how I feel about it now. But I did try over time…and we began to form a bond over the years as she got older. It’s a bond that’s pretty darned strong now and I’m very, very grateful for it:

I thank my lucky stars every day that I’ve now got the relationship with her that I do. I love her to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment