Sunday, July 17, 2011

Should I “friend” my daughter on Facebook?

Facebook home page a friend recommendation. I kinda did a double-take at first, not sure what to think.
My 19-year-old daughter has a Facebook account.
I shouldn’t be surprised, really. I’m sure there are a ton of teens with Facebook accounts. I guess I couldn’t understand why Breana was recommended to me. I mean, other than the last name how did Facebook make the connection?
I noted that her mom was linked to the account and I immediately felt a little bit better. It wasn’t some account where she could go off and say anything…this was an account where the parent could view and see everything that was going on.

So I emailed her mom and asked if she thought it was a good idea if I “friended” her. She first replied by laughing, reading between the lines of my email and realizing I was a little freaked out by it all. She told me that Breana has grown so much that she’s actually got stretch marks on her legs now (I mean…wow!) so they also thought she was mature enough to handle the responsibility of social media. She then asked if I thought I was ready to share MY account with her. I only had to think for a second to realize that I don’t post “the world” on Facebook like others do. I post pics of my loved ones (and some silly pics that Breana would probably roll her eyes over), I post occasional YouTube links, and sometimes comment on other’s pages. Umm…that’s about it.

So no, I don’t think I’ve got anything I’d NOT want her to see on my Facebook account. Which leads me to the question…should I “friend” my daughter on Facebook?
Ignore the fact that she might not “friend” me. For the sake of argument, let’s say that she does. The question really is…SHOULD she?
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment