Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Daughter Turns Dad Around

I was totally burned-out on the whole diabetes thing to the point I stopped taking the medication on a regular basis. When I went for a routine check-up, my sugar level was so high that my doctor gave me 4 years before I would need a kidney transplant. As any of us can attest to, getting more bad news on top of this disease was a devastating blow for me. The mere idea of having to wait for another person to die so I could enjoy not doing the right thing for a bit longer was too much. I started planning my eventual demise because I was tired of watching what I had to eat every second of the day and being a slave to the medications. I wanted my regular life back until my daughter had a heart-to-heart talk with me, stating that she was not ready to have her father leave this world until he had done everything within his power to stay. My daughter was the one that got me back on track. It's for her that I now go walking 3 times a week. It's for her that I take the stairs and not the elevator. And it's for her that I now exercise more control and discipline about coping with diabetes

No comments:

Post a Comment