Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Dad, His Daughter, Her Friend

A friend of my teen daughter was recently going through a stack of old photographs when she came across a picture of me. I was in a swimming pool, holding her (the friend) so that her head was above water. We were both smiling, mugging for the camera. The girl was three at the time.
Here’s the weird part: this teen girl and my daughter only became friends in high school. The photo was taken fifteen years before.
To which I say: WTF!?
Before this blog post goes all Twilight Zone on you, know that there’s a simple explanation.
By sheer coincidence, our families had both vacationed in Vegas at the same time. Our daughters met and hit it off in the Kids Club. The parents hit off it at the bar, conversation-wise. And I had spent a boat-load of time in the pool with both girls, so much so that the other girl’s mom took photos of us splashing around.
There were pictures of the two girls, as well. But their looks had changed so much over the years, the friend didn’t recognize my then-three-year-old daughter from that trip.
Somehow, I looked the same. (Fifteen years later!)
I guess all those insulin shots and high blood pressure medicine have kept me well preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment